Learning analytics is one of the most active research topics in the field of education and educational technologies. Yet, research still has to address many topics of relevance regarding the application of learning analytics techniques, such as competence-based learning, learning analytics-based interventions, cross-validation of extant research, standards for learning analytics, or learning analytics and instructional design. In addition, the emergence and growth of new technologies in educational contexts (e.g. smartphones, virtual and augmented reality, social networks), and the ever changing nature of existing ones, bring new challenges and opportunities for research and practice in learning analytics.
The fifth edition of the track on Learning Analytics within the 2017 International Conference Technological Ecosystems for Enhancing Multiculturality (TEEM ’17) aims to push and expand the scope and boundaries of learning analytics, while exploring new opportunities for future advances in this field.
The track invites original submissions that evaluate the role of learning analytics from educational, social and technical perspectives, with a critical view. We welcome both quantitative and qualitative work related to the topics of interest within the broad theme of “Expanding the frontiers of learning analytics”, especially those aiming to cross interdisciplinary boundaries and expand our understanding of the current and future trends in learning analytics.
Submissions should present advances in theory and/or apply novel techniques for data collection, processing and visualization in learning analytics. Submissions covering ethical aspects and policy-making in learning analytics are also welcome. All submissions will be subject to peer-review.
The track aims to address current needs and opportunities in learning analytics, and to gather multidisciplinary but complementary approaches from different fields, such as Computer Science, Data Science, Mathematics, Education, Sociology and Psychology. Following the main theme of the track, the Call for Papers is then open for submissions covering the following topics:
- Competence-based learning analytics: learning analytics for assessment of generic and specific competences.
- Integration of educational research and learning analytics.
- Learning analytics and self-regulated learning.
- Interventions and learning analytics.
- Success stories and case studies.
- Campus-wide implementations of learning analytics.
- Learning analytics and long-term effects (longitudinal studies on learning analytics).
- Theoretical advances in learning analytics.
- Replication and cross-validation of existing research.
- Ethical aspects of learning analytics.
- Learning analytics and policy-making.
- Interoperability and standards for learning analytics.
- Mobile apps for learning analytics.
- Multimodal learning analytics.
- Learning analytics in virtual worlds.
- Discourse and sentiment analytics.
- Education analytics: integration of learning analytics and academic analytics.
- Data sources for learning analytics.
- New approaches and methods in learning analytics.
- Learning analytics for personal learning environments (PLEs)
The different sessions will be held as panels consisting of a maximum of six presenters, and moderated by the co-chairs.
For each session, authors will briefly present an overview of their submission, with a maximum time allowance of five minutes. This presentation shall not be a summary of the submission but rather a general context of their research.
Following the presentations, the moderators will start a debate with the authors addressing the main contributions of each paper, focusing on common and divergent points. This discussion will have a duration of between forty-five and sixty minutes, including active participation from the audience in an open round of questions.
Submission dates: July 15th, 2017.
Submission format: http://2017.teemconference.eu/submission/
Track Scientific Committee
- Miguel Ángel Conde-González (Universidad de León, Spain) – Co-chair
- Ángel Hernández-García (Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain) – Co-chair
- Ángel F. Agudo-Peregrina (Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain)
- Javier Alfonso-Cendón (Universidad de León, Spain)
- Gustavo Ribeiro Alves (Instituto Superior de Engenharia do Porto, Portugal)
- Manuel Caeiro-Rodríguez (Universidade de Vigo, Spain)
- Agustín Carlos Caminero-Herráez (Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia, Spain)
- Adam Cooper (University of Bolton, United Kingdom)
- Juan Cruz-Benito (Universidad de Salamanca, Spain)
- Rebecca Ferguson (The Open University, United Kingdom)
- Camino Fernández-Llamas (Universidad de León, Spain)
- Baltasar Fernández-Manjón (Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain)
- Ángel Fidalgo-Blanco (Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain)
- Antonio Fumero-Reverón (Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain)
- Francisco José García-Peñalvo (Universidad de Salamanca, Spain)
- Dragan Gasevic (University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom)
- Inés González-González (Universidad Pública de Navarra, Spain)
- David Griffiths (University of Bolton, United Kingdom)
- Mariluz Guenaga (Universidad de Deusto, Spain)
- Santiago Iglesias-Pradas (Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain)
- Ana Isabel Jiménez-Zarco (Universitat Oberta de Catalunya, Spain)
- Mikel Larrañaga (Euskal Herriko Unibertsitatea, Spain)
- María Arcelina Marques (Instituto Superior de Engenharia do Porto, Portugal)
- Alejandra Martínez-Monés (Universidad de Valladolid, Spain)
- Vicente Matellán-Olivera (Universidad de León, Spain)
- Milos Milovanovic (Univerzitet u Beogradu, Serbia)
- Julià Minguillón (Universitat Oberta de Catalunya, Spain)
- Miroslav Minovic (Univerzitet u Beogradu, Serbia)
- Rafael Molina-Carmona (Universidad de Alicante, Spain)
- Amílcar Oliveira (Universidade Aberta, Portugal)
- Pedro José Muñoz-Merino (Universidad Carlos III, Spain)
- Nic Nistor (Ludwig Maximilians Universität München, Germany)
- Luis Panizo-Alonso (Universidad de León, Spain)
- Rafael Pastor (Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia, Spain)
- Antonio Robles-Gómez (Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia, Spain)
- Salvador Ros-Muñoz (Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia, Spain)
- Teresa Sancho (Universitat Oberta de Catalunya, Spain)
- Marcus Specht (Open Universiteit Nederland, Netherlands)
- Roberto Therón (Universidad de Salamanca, Spain)
- Katrien Verbert (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium)
Dr. Miguel Ángel Conde-González
Universidad de León
Campus de Vegazana, s/n
(+34) 98 729 3418
Dr. Ángel Hernández-García
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
(+34) 91 549 5700 (ext. 2112)